Sunday, July 08, 2007

Melissa finally got a good enough connection that she was able to email a little update of everything that has been going on... (Beware... its long!!)

Hello from The Bush!

There are so many things that immediately rush to my mind that I want to share with you all! So many experiences that both Anne Marie and I have had that can hardly even be put in to words. Allow me to fumble with my words and describe some of the things the Lord has shown me and has been teaching Anne Marie and I these past weeks.

Since the last time I’ve written I can honestly say that I have had a pretty real “Zambian” experience. Some of you might have heard I had malaria. And yes, it’s true. I was bit by a wee little bug that made me feel pretty miserable. Some of the symptoms occurred for about 2 days, then it came full blown on the 3rd day and was gone completely by the 5th. Being surrounded by doctors and nurses certainly helped : )
The mission here has been visited by several doctors that come for 2 days. One day to see patients and diagnose while the second day is to perform surgery. A plastic surgeon is coming this Thursday and Friday to do many surgeries…pray everything will go according to plan during those surgeries. Anne Marie is getting lots of experience at the hospital…the other day she was able to actually deliver a baby! She was pretty excited, and the baby was very healthy.
The Preschool is going really good. Everyday the Lord gives me the strength to face around 80-100 children…thankfully having a translator to speak in Lunda and Luvale to the kids helps : ) The lady who helps me with the preschool is Lillian. She is a dear sister in Christ and we have had many opportunities to witness to the kids. I try to keep a daily schedule every day. Usually we have some exercises (since it’s very chilly in the mornings), and about 10 minutes of fun action songs. “My God is so Big,” “I’m in the Lords Army” “In-Right, Out-right,” etc… after that I begin the process of teaching them simple and helpful day-to-day English words. We’ve been going over introducing our selves and telling where we are each from. And the kids have been memorizing their alphabet pretty diligently. It surprises me how quickly these kids catch onto anything I’m doing…reminds me that I need to be vigilant in showing forth His love, that He might be given all the glory and honor. After all of the English teaching is finished, we usually head outside and sit down for a good 20-30 minute Bible Lesson. The kids are really attentive, and it’s such a blessing having Lillian there to translate the stories that are being told in English. We’ve been looking at different parables these past 2 weeks…it’s neat when some of the older kids catch onto the fact that the “story” Jesus is telling is actually a “story” about us and how we should be living our lives. You can be praying this Monday and Tuesday as I will be giving my testimony to the 3 different classes I’m teaching on Monday and Lillian will be sharing her testimony on Tuesday. We told them yesterday that we had something special to share with them and it was going to be about our decision to follow Jesus Christ. Perhaps it will prick one of their little souls…

Well…from what I’ve heard, some of you might have received some pictures of people Anne Marie and I have met over the past few weeks. One of the pictures is of some dear, old ladies that have been so helpful with learning the language! They speak NO English…but just by hand gesturing we have been able to figure things out. It was fun, when one day Anne Marie, Claire (a sister in Christ from Ireland who visited for 2 weeks), and I came to their little village with our chitangi material. They taught us how to properly wear it and wrap it around ourselves, it was quite fun! And then some of them were grinding their dried cassava in a wooden bowl about 2 feet deep with a thick stick about 4 feet long and they taught us how to properly grind it. Several times, we’ve surprised them with fresh fruit, scones, and cookies…their faces light up every time. It’s been a blessing getting to know them.

Abba has been so patient with me, teaching me daily to rely on Him here and that “I am crucified with Christ, it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me, and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and GAVE Himself for me.” Gal. 2:20 The least I can do is give myself fully to Him. Being here in Africa has brought forth in my mind a different aspect of sin, love, and grace. And another facet of what it meant for Christ to have “compassion.”

This e-mail should probably be wrapped up, and yet I have failed horribly at fully relaying to all of you the many things that have been going on. All I can say is that their smiles have changed me, their constant handshakes have befriended me, and my heart breaks that these beautiful people might come to know our Lord Jesus Christ and the simplicity of the gospel. Truly, “For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.” James 4:14. May we live daily to proclaim His death, His life, and His grace that is oh so very deep. And what a day of rejoicing it will be when we see Him face to face!

In Abba’s Hands,
Melissa

Romans 12:1-2

2 Corinthians 4:16 - 5:9

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thanks for the update on Melissa! I pray for her and can relate to what she's going through. I taught a similar class in Honduras. What a blessing to those little kids, to have a teacher like Melissa. And what an opportunity!